Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Weight of Glory

I was reading Ephesians 1 today with a friend. We came across words like power, glory, and hope- words we hear all the time, yet think little about. Right now, I do not know what these words mean. I could give you a definition for each of them. I know them in my mind, but not my heart. I do know; however, that I have this longing that C.S. Lewis describes in "The Weight of Glory." I ache for something more, but I'm not quite sure what. Words cannot express this desire.
Often times I look to good times in the past, times I remember as feeling full, as Lewis describes. I also draw hope from the future. "Once I get to college, my life will be in place. I'll be where God wants me to be." I reach this points and life seems to just go on. I've been learning that life on earth is not glorious, yet somehow it's still beautiful. God loves me in the everyday, in the small things.
So, Lewis talks about my longing -this glory. I cannot wait for it to be fulfilled. I cannot wait to finally feel comfortable with myself. I will be sure of who God created me to be. I will be new, fresh, revived. A few things do help with this longing though. I long to realize God's love for me and to love him in return. That is not my only task; however. God created us to love people. And this love, these relationships are fulfilling. I've met alot of new people since coming to Calvin. It's easy for me to dismiss people before I meet them. I limit myself on the relationships I could form before a word is said. Lewis refutes this type of thinking. He calls us to see others as children of God. They, too will be glorious. God created them, God loves them. God will affirm them.

1 comment:

billy said...

thats so true. I used to push people away as well. I hated getting to know new poeple, but I've begun to realize that relationships play such a key role in bringing ourselves and others close to God.
billy