Sunday, February 24, 2008

Vocation and the Kingdom of God

This chapter talked about "the kingdom of God." In a practical way. God has given us free will. Ideally our little "kingdoms" will align with His kingdom. For now, I'm called to be at Calvin. I always look forward to "someday" when hopefully I'll be serving God in another country, and I will fully see how God is working in me and using me each and everyday. The older I get the more I realize that life is "the everyday." I need to learn to seek God here, now.
I also enjoyed the quotation by Richard J. Foster, "Superficiality is the curse of our age. The doctrine of instant satisfaction is a primary spiritual problem. The desperate need today is not for a greater number of intelligent people, or gifted people, but for deep people." I've grown up in a Christian atmosphere. It's easy to get caught up in the motions, for all to appear to be "good" Christians- who don't struggle with anything and who have a perfect relationship with God. What we need is to be vulnerable with each other. To love and accept each other unconditionally- instead of judging each other.

No comments: