Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Chapter 1: Longing and Hope

I found the first chapter of Plantinga's book very similar to "The Weight of Glory." I discussed the longing and fulfillment in my other blog, but a few more things stood out to me in this reading. First of all, I really enjoyed the idea that beauty, the fulfillment of this longing, comes through people. We will never be completely filled on earth, but our relationships and daily tasks are not meaningless. God created me for today. If I remember this, I can take joy in each day.
I also liked the idea that "genuine hope always combines imagination, faith, and desire." I'm often a realist. Growing up I was always fascinated by the lives of missionaries who came to visit my church. I almost idolized them. They were super-humans, used by God. "God would never use me in amazing ways," I thought. Since then I've grown in confidence, God has placed many encouragers in my life at various times. A few years ago I remember my friend Henry saying, "Our God is the God of dreams." We often forget that "nothing is impossible with God." It is easy to get bogged down by the world, by bills, broken relationships, and unfulfilled visions- yet we cannot give up hope. I believe that God gives us dreams, he will grow us in faith (alot!), and he will be found faithful to fulfill them. They may not happen the way we planned, but thats part of the excitement.
I just spent the last paragraph showing how our God is the God of what seems impossible. I can say that, but do I really believe it? Shalom, reconciliation, the world the way it should be- all this sounds wonderful, but is it realistic? Sometimes its hard for me to believe. I know in my mind that God is greater than man, but it's not something I have fully learned in my heart yet. I see inequality and racism, I hear insincere words and empty promises- all this in the church and Christian institutions. If we do not love each other, how can we love the world?

No comments: