Wednesday, February 13, 2008

"Our English Syllabus"

I really enjoyed "Our English Syllabus" by C.S. Lewis. Often times I feel like I'm learning about one side of an issue. Yes, this syllabus is good for high school (but I was starting to get sick of it). Now, I love learning. I love learning things that will challenge the way I think. I agree with Lewis- students should be able to explore, to learn for themselves. They should be given freedom to be creative. They should question things- never just accept the status quo. This inquiry, this search for truth and knowledge is a gift from God. We can also have peace knowing that we will never know everything, but He does. That's why He's God and we're not. Even though we can't possibly understand and discover everything, we can still enjoy the journey. Finally, this learning should be carried on throughout life, not just for 4 years in college.

1 comment:

Homey said...

You are so right. Our curiosity and desire to know more is such a gift from God. Let us then wholehearted pursue the things we are curious about instead of stifling our curiosity by feeling like we can't learn about too much because it could hinder our job opportunites in the future. A job might just be until retirement, but learning is forever.