Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Learning in War Time

In "Learning in War Time" C.S. Lewis talks about how there is no such thing as "normal life." Life essentials cannot be laid aside because of inconvenient situations- even war. There is always a million reasons not to do something. For now, for whatever reason, some of us are called to be students. God has given us a desire for beauty and knowledge. Even if our search for knowledge and beauty seems inconclusive, it will be built upon by others. Our search is not in vain.
This is one thing I've been understanding more and more. I used to always look ahead to the future when I would live differently- I'd wake up every morning, read my bible, pray, go for a run. Somehow, I've never changed. Life is still normal. I also remember field hockey season. My friend and I always said "as soon as hockey's over," we'll get back on track with God. Hockey season ended, and I occupied my time with other things. If I don't seek God today, what will change in the future?

1 comment:

Emily N said...

That is so true! I know that I always make excuses and say that I will start doing things when life gets back to normal too....but there really is no normal.