Thursday, March 27, 2008

Show and Tell

“No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear.”-C.S. Lewis

I never related grief to fear before. The more I think about it, the more I see the comparison. I’m sad when I lose something that was close and important to me. When I lose a good friend, or a plan that I had been looking forward to for a long time doesn’t work out- I get upset.
This grief comes from fear- MY plans are ruined. I don’t know where to go next. MY friend isn’t there anymore- I don’t know who to turn to. I feel uncertain and alone. Then I remember God. And he shows me His reasons- he makes me rely on Him, not myself or others. These truths that “I know” are cemented into my being through such experiences- through grief.

1 comment:

Emily G said...

that's a really intriguing quote - i hadn't heard it before. it makes sense. When a love one dies and you're grieving, you could say that you're grieving because you are fearful you have lost them forever. Though because of our faith, we know that that individual will be in heaven if they took Jesus as their personal Savior. If we know this then, is it wrong to grieve? Are we not showing distrust in our Savior's powers? I was always told that grieving was good, but if you look at it in this way, wouldn't grieving be considered bad?